Sunday, 23 December 2012

FF: Tantalising Touch (Part 6)


Part 6

Arnav's legs moved of their own accord. Before he could stop and think, he was metres away from Khushi. Khushi looked up to see a distraught Arnav staring back at her. Not a night had gone by where she hadn't dreamt of this face - every night he occupied her dreams and she finds herself thinking of what their lives could have been like had Shyam not intervened.

Gazing into his eyes, she was lost in a daydream. His scent, his touch... Just the mere thought of it was intoxicating. All of a sudden, she felt a hand shaking her shoulder.
"Uh, Khushi... Are you feeling okay?" Khushi turned to see a shocked Arjun and started blushing violently. She smiled.
"I'm fine Arjun. You go ahead, I'm coming." Once Arjun had gone, Khushi glared at Arnav as she spoke.
"What are you doing here?"
"That's irrelevant. Who's he?" Arnav indicated in the direction that Arjun had just left in.
"And what business is it of yours?" Arnav grabbed her by the arms, anger slowly appearing on his face.
"Just answer me, dammit!" Khushi pushed him away, unable to mask the hurt on her face.
"And what about when I wanted answers from you, Arnavji? The months of torture I had to go through until you finally gave me an answer - an answer you would never have given me had I not attempted suicide." Arnav involuntarily winced at the memory, the thought of losing Khushi forever haunting him. He sighed.
"Listen Khushi-"
"Do you know something, Arnavji? I don't have to listen to a word you say. Nor do I have to answer any of your questions. We're not marred anymore, and you cannot control me. I'm not some business associate - you can't just expect me to listen and agree to everything always being on your terms."
"Khushi, I don't want you to. I was at fault, not you. I've acknowledged that I've made a mess of everything recently. All I want is for you to know that I regret everything I did. But if this is just a stunt to get at me Khushi, I-" Khushi's expression quickly tuned to disbelief.
"You're unbelievable, do you know that? You honestly are so far up your own backside aren't you? You think everything in the world revolves around you. Well guess what, Mr. Raizada? It doesn't. Once again, you've proved that there isn't an ounce of humanity in you - all you do is business-like calculations, playing with other people's lives."
"Khushi, that's not what I meant."
"Well, it's what you said."
"Khushi, I-"
Khushi looked up at him, directly in his eyes and told a lie that killed her inside.
"Let me make one thing clear to you, Mr Raizada. I wish I could turn the clock back, back to the day of Jiji's wedding. I wish I had never met you that night. I regret ever meeting you." With that, she turned and left to find Arjun, leaving Arnav stood there alone.

Arjun caught sight of Khushi, tears running down her face. He immediately pulled her into his arms and she cried into his shirt.
"Arjun, he..."
"Shh, it's okay." He stroked her hair as she continued to cry. They stood there like that until Khushi's tears finally dried up. "Now, do you want to tell me what all that was about?"

The two of them sat down and Khushi told Arjun everything. From the day Payal's engagement broke until the day of her divorce. It felt so good to tell someone everything - someone who trusted her and was on her side. Arjun listened intently, and it was dark by the time they had finished. Khushi looked around as she noticed this for the first time.
"Oh, it's late. We should be getting back." Arjun offered his hand, and Khushi took it. He pulled her up from her seat. "Look, I'm sorry for dumping all of this on you. I mean, there we were, having a great day and then I started remembering everything... Why do I always let him ruin everything for me?" Khushi's lips quivered as tears threatened to fall from her eyes.
"Hey..." Arjun wiped the tears off her face and tenderly held her face in his hands. "I'm here now. I won't let him hurt you again, Khushi. I'll always be here for you." Khushi looked up at him.
"Promise?"
"I promise. Think of me as your bodyguard - protecting Khushi Kumari Gupta from all sources of evil!" His silly expression and superhero impersonation made Khushi burst into a fit of giggles. "There we go! See, I knew I could bring that beautiful smile back!" Arjun took her hand and led her to the car.

When they got back, Buaji was waiting up for them. She playfully slapped Khushi's arm.
"Sanka Devi, where were you? Do you have any idea how late it is?!" Khushi yawned.
"We were in the mandir, and we lost track of time. I'm going to sleep." With that, Khushi retreated to her bedroom.

Once Khushi was out of earshot, Arjun spoke.
"Buaji, there's something important I have to discuss with you."
"What is it dear?" Arjun took a deep breath.
"I'd like to ask for Khushi's hand in marriage."

No comments:

Post a Comment