
Part 11
Arnav stormed into his house and slammed the door behind him. What do I do now? he thought desperately. He couldn't just let Khushi slip through his fingers - he had lost her too many times; he wasn't going to do it again. The truth was going to come out eventually - he was just bringing forward the inevitable. This is the only way for me to regain her trust; I have to tell Di the truth. Arnav slowly began making his way up the stairs, his chest constricting more with every step. This is going to kill her, he thought. He quickly shook himself, deciding that this was the lesser of two evils. He could either give her this heartbreak now, or allow Shyam to reveal his true nature to her himself once he had successfully robbed her blind and disappeared. If he allowed the latter to happen, he could virtually guarantee that Anjali would never speak to him again after discovering he knew about it - what difference would there be between him and Shyam then?
Arnav knocked on Anjali's door. On hearing a chirpy "come in!" he entered her room, only to see his Di beaming up at him. He hadn't seen her this happy since... since she married that monster, he thought.
"Chote, what are you standing there for? Come here." She signalled for him to sit next to her on her bed, and he obliged.
"How are you, Di?" Anjali smiled.
"I'm great! You know, Chote, I think you're going to be an uncle very soon!" Arnav couldn't help but smile at his Di's enthusiasm, how oblivious she was to the entire situation. "I'm on strict orders to stay in bed - your jijaji (brother-in-law) won't let me move because I should be 'resting'. I'm going to go mad if I stare at these walls any longer!" Arnav's muscles tensed and he gritted his teeth as Anjali spoke so lovingly bout Shyam. I don't want to do this to you, Di, but I have no choice.
"Di, I need to tell you something. It's important."
"Okay Chote, but can we walk please? I'm going to lose all feeling in my legs if I carry on like this." Arnav nodded and helped Anjali up. Together, they started roaming around the mansion, arm-in-arm.
"So Chote, what did you - Ah!" Anjali yelled out as she felt a sharp stab of pain. Arnav immediately grew concerned.
"Di, are you okay? What happened?" He led her to a chair by the pool.
"Chote relax, I'm fine-" Once again, she involuntarily yelled out in pain.
"I'm calling the doctor." Anjali grabbed his arm.
"There's no need, I know what's wrong." She spoke between gasps. "Chote, we need to get to the hospital. I'm in labour!" Arnav lifted Anjali in his arms and quickly carried her to his car. After ensuring she was safely strapped in he started driving, attempting to recollect what was written about childbirth in all the pregnancy books he had read.
"Di, take deep breaths, okay? We'll be there soon."
"Phone... him." She managed to utter between gasps. Reluctantly, Arnav dialled Shyam's number and put it on speakerphone. Voicemail.
"Shyam, your wife is giving birth. I suggest you get here right now!" Anjali was shocked at the way Arnav spoke to Shyam, but concluded that it was probably due to the stress he was under.
Once they reached the hospital, they were escorted into the maternity ward. Anjali stopped them as they were about to reach the delivery suite, and placed her hand on Arnav's.
"I'm coming with you, Di."
"No, Chote. I'll be fine; I don't want to put you under unnecessary stress."
"But Di, how can you go in alone? I-"
"Chote, you're forgetting something. Who took care of you when mum died? You know better than anyone that I'm stronger than I look. Thank you for bringing me here, but I can do this by myself. I'll be fine, I promise. I'll ask them to call you if I need you, okay?" Arnav nodded and slowly released her hand.
"I'll be here, Di." Anjali smiled as they led her to the delivery suite.
A few hours had passed, by which Arnav had informed the family and they had all arrived to see Anjali. All except Shyam. A nurse finally speared to speak to the family.
"Anjali has given birth to a beautiful little girl." There were smiled all round at this wonderful news.
"Can I go and see her?" Arnav asked.
"Of course."
Arnav entered the room to see Anjali snoozing and a little baby in a cot next to her. He went over to the baby, and admired her beautiful, delicate features. She looks so much like Di, he thought. He maintained his distance, however, as he wasn't a 'baby person'.
"You can pick her up, you know," Arnav's head snapped up as he heard Anjali speak. "she won't bite." Anjali laughed softly as she helped Arnav lift the baby, showing him how to support her head.
Arnav was momentarily taken aback when he felt the tiny weight in his arms. This beautiful, precious little being that meant so much to him despite the fact that he had only just met her. She slowly opened her eyes, and Arnav once again found himself lost for words. Tears began to prick his eyes as he realised that this little magnificent creature was going to bring so much joy to his Di's life. He swallowed back a lump in his throat.
"She's... amazing." Anjali smiled at Arnav.
"Did he...?" She asked. Arnav just shook his head slowly in reply.
"He must be busy - he's probably been held up. I'm sure there's a perfectly decent explanation." Anjali looked down, disappointment etched on her face. I have to tell her, Arnav thought.
"Listen, Di-" He was interrupted by Shyam's entrance.
"I'm so sorry, Rani Sahiba. I was help up at work, and my phone was off; I only just got Saale Sahib's message." Likely story, Arnav thought - he had called Shyam a dozen times and it had rung every time. Shyam's actions spoke volumes - he didn't care about Di at all.
Arnav watched as Anjali once again forgave Shyam for the 'mistake' he made. He watched the three of them, the perfect family, and realised that he didn't have the heart to tell Di the truth. Maybe Shyam would see the error of his ways... Arnav was willing to sacrifice his happiness if it resulted in Di and Khushi, the two women he loved, being happy.
The next day, Arnav got ready and left for the office. As Anjali was being pampered by the entire family, he felt it would be safe to leave her for his meeting with his accountant. He walked into the meeting room, and immediately began fishing through his briefcase to find the appropriate spreadsheets.
"I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long, Mr Khan." He glanced up from his briefcase, to find Arjun's hand extended towards him.
No comments:
Post a Comment